Thursday, August 04, 2011

Will they like Ani?










They loved Ani. Do you have children? I don't have children but once in a while I borrow someone else's children like in this case. This way I don't miss out on motherhood or aunthood. They were curious, peering into the grass to look closer at the tiny hummingbird that was flitting around the flowers. Growing up poor I didn't have any benevolent relatives who took me under their tutelage. The only exposure I had were in books, in history books. I remember as a thirteen year old, devouring thick history books on European history, Napoleon, Bismarck and also on Asian history, Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan, these were larger than life people and they formed the basis for my developmental years. Today's thirteen year old are only interested in preening themselves and are mostly empty in their heads. My head was filled with strong hero types that till today I act like a 'hero' type person in my work and in my family. Could it be this love of history that is leading me to exotic places in the world? Ani? Who would even visit Ani, its very inaccessible. Not just that a friend warned me about the PKK (Kurdish rebels). I want to go to South Eastern Turkey next year, this is the Kurdish area of Turkey and where the PKK is known to reside. I just read that the PKK killed a few Turkish soldiers. I don't live to be afraid, I can't live like that. PKK or not, I'm going there.
I pray that the memory of this trip will stay with them forever and they will want to organise their own adventures.

No comments: