Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Lijiang 2















































Lijiang is home to the Naxi minority. They numbered around 280,000 and most of the people in Lijiang are Naxis. Everyone I asked told me they are Naxis. They seem a nice and very contented group of people. Tourism has brought in a lot of money into their community. It is one of the most pleasant places I've been to in this world. There are wide open spaces and absolutely clean. The old town is what people come to see. It is constructed in the Naxi style and completely restored. All the living spaces has been turned into something to please the tourists. There are shops, shops and more shops selling souvenirs, there are restaurants serving local dishes and there are inns of every imaginable price range and amenities. This Naxi lady begged me to stay at her house for 80 Yuan a night. Unfortunately I had already committed myself to a fancy hotel for 700 Yuan a night. How very regretable, that was, I could have saved a bundle. There is water flowing all through the village and absolutely clean water. The Naxis believed in a kind of Buddhism that revered clean water. The water comes from springs and also from the snow melt of the highest peak in the area, Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. Unfortunately I didn't go to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. I've seen pictures on YouTube and it is so beautiful. It wasn't that far away. There are lots of inns that rent out cheap rooms right in the old city and you'll be in the thick of things. I did wander and looked into some of their gorgeous courtyards.








No comments: