Saturday, November 07, 2009

Beer and pretzels

It was the first weekend of Oktoberfest and everything was closed. Who would have thought Oktoberfest starts in September. The only thing opened for business was this food stall at the main train station. There were pretzels and gingerbread cookies every where. It was a good thing that we shopped here for provisions that same evening because our train journey the next day for Prague took six hours and there was no food or drink on board. We met some Americans on board who had come to Munich for Oktoberfest and was on their way (like us) to Prague. They were hungry and thirsty. We had our provisions and we ate and drank. We didn't have any extra because I had to carry the stuff in my back pack so I only brought the minimum for the 2 of us. We always pack some food to take with us regardless if the train had a dining car.


We were on our free walking tour of Munich when the parade passed by. I broke off from our group and went after these 2 tractors to take their pictures. At work, I'm the queen of multi tasking. It looked like on vacation I have to use some of these skills. We were always breaking off from our group to take pictures.


There were beer houses and beer gardens all over the city.















Here are some of the parade attendees.






















This is supposed to be the fanciest street in Munich. I spotted this Jimmy Choo store. It was on the parade route. Here people were dispersing and leaving. The parade just ended when we came here.









I forgot what this was.























Hops. These are the stuff they put into the brewing of beer to give it that bitter taste. I'm not a beer drinker. We didn't drink anything. Being in Munich during Oktoberfest was a bonus in this trip. Now I can check off this item on the list, not my list. We had only one day in Munich, so we had to hurry. We will come back to see the romantic castles and visit Dachau, one day.











No comments: