Friday, April 29, 2011

Suddenly, the Hagia Sophia






Here she was, perched precariously on a ledge on top of the rock that is Monemvasia. I didn't dare venture further for fear of falling off the precipice.
 The double eagle emblem of the Byzantine empire. This is truly an Byzantine treasure.




There was this little plateau up on top. I could lean over the fortification to look down on the village and the sea. I could roam among the wild flowers to see the ruins and wonder what they were before they fell apart. I went to the furthest part to see what was beyond, it was more ruins and wild flowers. It was so wonderful, then I glanced up the hill to see what was up yonder and lo and behold, there it was, her majesty, the fabled Hagia Sophia of Monemvasia. Boy, was I excited, I was beside myself. I ran up the cobbled stone pathway throwing caution to the wind, I could fall, I could have heat stroke.... I didn't care. All I knew then was, I found her and am running up to embrace her. She was locked and we couldn't see what was inside. I tried to look around for some opening but found none. I read she has frescoes in her, badly damaged and defaced by the Ottomans but still beautiful. I was still happy to have been on her grounds. I ran down the cobbled pathway, shouting for Sophie to come up. She did eventually, then I was yelling for her to leave. Our bus is leaving soon. That was a really short visit. I wish I could have lingered....

No comments: