Friday, October 24, 2008

Bad news

This is how the pictures should look like, now that I found out how to use my new camera. A huge bowl of fall fruits, 6 kinds of apples, persimmons and 'autumn royal' grapes. This country is so productive, the earth yield its fruits, the people work hard to provide for themselves and their families. So what went wrong, the news has been so bad, how much bad news can you stand before it'll drive you to jump off a tall building? I don't know how much I can take. I haven't opened my 401K statements lately. Charles Schwab says, my e statement for September is ready but it took me 2 weeks before I even downloaded it. The governor says, California is running out of cash. What does that mean?
I can only continue to go to work, pay my bills, save and conserve as much as I can. How can I still manage to travel? By being ultra frugal, there's no shame to it, some of my ways are even too embarrassing to publish. We went to a flea market last Saturday, the vendors were crying, even their cheap stuff goes unsold but they still drive SUV's. My brother said, they bought them when times were good, I guess.
I have always been ultra frugal, so it's not difficult for me even during these times. Even when we travel, we stay in motels, take public transportation, walk and look for cheap food. We don't usually shop, we usually buy art books, we love those. We take lots of pictures and these pictures sustain us when we're at home and especially during these times when the news is all bad. Everything we own has gone down, the great news is the mortgage has gone down too, considerably, because I make a huge effort to pay it down. I can't wait to have a mortgage burning party soon.
Most days I entertain myself by writing in this blog, by looking at my pictures again and researching other cute places in the world for future trips. I usually write what I want to read and I try to live the life I want to live regardless of all the bad news.

No comments: