Friday, October 17, 2008

Behind closed doors






















I saw some interesting doors while visiting Dolceacqua. I started taking pictures of them, I thought they would make an interesting storyline. Have you ever wondered what goes on behind closed doors? One trait of an independent traveler is curiosity. I am not one to be satisfied with reading about someone elses' adventures. I have to go, have my own, I need to turn over stones, no matter how many, to see what's under them.
Even as I write about this trip, I've already finished planning my next 2 trips. I'm going to take 3 trips next year, the 3rd trip is in the works but I'll get there.
Who lives behind these closed doors? Who lives in Dolceacqua? What work do they do? Dolceacqua is 20 minutes by bus from Ventimiglia. While the bus schedule is erratic, there's always one in the morning, mid afternoon and early evening. It changes with the school schedule. They take school kids to and from school and anybody else. They are local buses and so don't cater to tourists.
There was this nice guy at our hotel in Ventimiglia (Hotel Calypso) who told us how to take the bus. At the bus stop, some nice locals told us how to get some bus tickets. They can be purchased at Tobacco shops but it was lunch time and all of them around the bus stop were closed. A bar nearby was opened, they told us, they sell bus tickets there. It reminds me of a similar situation in Sicily last year. We went on the bus without tickets, the bus driver waited while I ran to the corner tobacco shop to get some and raced ahead of the line (the locals let me, so nice of them) to buy the tickets, then ran back to the bus and off we went.
The locals have been so nice. The only nasty people we met were other tourists.






No comments: