Friday, February 26, 2010

Why I travel, Villa Palagonia

Quirky! That's what Villa Palagonia is. Quirky! I like quirky. We visited Villa Palagonia during our second trip to Sicily, we had already been there that year in March. Before I visit any place I'd read up on it, I'd read everything I can find about the place. We love our visit to Sicily even though it wasn't easy to get there from the west coast of the USA. As usual I'd read up about the place after I come back and realised there's so much more to Sicily that 2 weeks there wasn't at all enough, wasn't enough to do it justice. I read and found out about Villa Palagonia and that it wasn't even difficult to get there. Just a 20 minute train ride from Palermo gets us to Bagheria and a 35 minute walk from the train station takes us to the back fence of Villa Palagonia. I had to return to Sicily, Sophie was game and in Ocotber the same year, we were on our way back to Sicily. Why Sicily, everyone asked us before our first visit. Americans are very fond of saying, 'why Sicily or why anything?' We never say 'why not?' Unless something makes us a lot of money, we seldom do anything and for that matter, most of us don't do anything because we are always asking, 'why'. Why am I talking to you? I've been asked that many times. Why am I writing this blog? I just do, I don't ask, 'why'. I just do it. I write, I take pictures, I travel, never asking why, I just do everything. The moral of the story, don't ask why, just do it! I'm always asked, which is my most favorite place, Sicily is my only answer. I've told people that I'm going to Morocco next, guess what..... why Morocco? I digress. Villa Palagonia is really just a baroque villa except on the wall fence, the original owner has placed stone carvings of all sorts the whole length of the fence. They are the weirdest things, a lot have not survived the over 300 years of existence. Many are still left and what's left is still worth seeing. Villa Palagonia has had many famous visitors over the few hundred of years including Goethe. It belongs to a Sicilian family who has allowed it to be opened to the public for a small fee. The city of Bagheria has grown around the villa and the villa is in danger of disappearing. I'd say, see it now or see it soon.

No comments: