Saturday, May 21, 2011

Buddhist frescoes

 The Baisha frescoes in Baisha, a little village outside of Lijiang, a bigger village in Yunnan province in the South West part of China. Lijiang is so beautiful and so buccolic. Looking at old pictures of a trip I made 3 years ago, it was a wonderful 5 days spent there. Just 5 days? It's crazy for a country as huge as China but that was all the time I had. As much as I love Byzantine architecture, Chinese temple architecture is both artistic and spiritual. This place is more like a monastery, an old style Chinese courtyard housing complex and they found a 14th century piece of Buddhist fresco here. It's been restored. I wasn't supposed to take this picture. They were on top of me so fast when they heard the click of my camera. I couldn't help it. They actually want you to buy their postcards and books. Good thing they only reprimanded me, they didn't send me to a Chinese jail where I could be shot in a public area. They'll then send the bill for the cost of the bullet to my family and they'll harvest my organs and sell them. I heard they do that. I don't know if they still do.






Here it is.

No comments: