Sunday, May 29, 2011

Living in a cemetery, Christian

 I'll never forget our trip to Cairo 2 years ago before all the turmoil. I want to return to Egypt. It is such a place of contrast, the modern squalor and the glorious antiquities makes it an incredible place to visit. I pray that whatever government takes over that the Coptic Christians would not be persecuted and slaughtered. Here we were in Coptic Cairo visiting the Christian cemetery. It had wide boulevards and I notice just as in the city of the dead, there were people living here too.

 We met this nice young man who invited us to his ancestral grave where he and his father lived. He was handicapped and cannot work. His father wasn't there, we presumed he went to work. This guy spoke some English. These are disturbing pictures, the squalor is so unsettling. I'm used to squalor like this having grown up in a third world nation and grown up dirt poor. Even now I work in skid row in Los Angeles and it resembles a third world nation. I've made a good living working here.





He was soft spoken and sweet. We gave him some money before we left. We have to be thankful everyday of what we have. Clearly if we live in a Western country we must exploit every opportunity there is. There are none in Egypt, for Christians anyway.

No comments: