Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Greek ruins outside of Greece

While the concentration of ancient Greek ruins are in Greece, the ancient Greek empire did extend beyond Greece. There are ruins of ancient Greek temples in Southern Italy that I've not visited yet. After seeing ancient Greek ruins in Athens there is probably no reason to venture to Southern Italy to see these ruins. However before I went to Greece, I did see an area where there is a huge concentration of ancient Greek ruins outside of Greece and it was in Sicily. Four years ago we made 2 trips to Sicily and during our first trip we went to Agrigento. Here in 'the valley of temples' was a huge complex of ancient Greek temples including the Temple of Apollo. These were the very early days of our traveling life and our picture taking skills were really rudimentary unlike today when they are more technically superior (I must say so). They say, you never forget your first' (really?). But I'll never forget my first sight of ancient Greek ruins even though they were not in Greece.

No comments: