Thursday, September 29, 2011

I start noticing the difference

 They make do with whatever they have. They make and build their own form of transportation, putting a metal container on motorcycles or bicycles and moving goods and people with them.
Here is a Uighur woman knitting while waiting in the parking lot.


Kids are everywhere, playing while their parents work. There is a hive of economic activity, goods are being moved constantly and as I spent time observing I realised this is a trading post for goods going overland to Central Asia. This was an exploratory visit for me. I want to link this part of China with Turkey, visiting all the places in between, in Central Asia. How and when I'm going to do it, I don't know. But by being in Urumqi, I feel much more confident that I can do it.

No comments: