Friday, March 22, 2013

A true living museum

 There were three nation kingdoms in the Kathmandu valley, Kathmandu, Patan and now Bhaktapur. Bhaktapur has remained the same for centuries and besides being a museum, the local folk still calls the area home and does their work, farm and crafting as in centuries ago. It is a very interesting place. As soon as I opened the door of my taxi, a local approached me wanting to be my guide. We agreed on a price and he promised to show me the places most visitors would feel squeamish about. He said he knew what I like, the weird, the quirky and the squeamish... he waas right.
 For some reason they like to build next to Bunyan trees. This Bunyan tree has roots extended everywhere.



Bhaptapur is a palace complex, with temples built for the various deities of the Hindu pantheon, royal and common baths, spring water, various religious sculptures and the chief temple complex which is opened only to Hindus.

No comments: