Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Trust home, Pokhara, Nepal

 Trust home, a residential or boarding school for underprivileged Tibetan kids in the Pokhara area, supported by donations of visitors. A church in Santa Maria, California also supports them. I'm supposed to get in touch with their pastor but still haven't found the time. I was invited back for lunch. Moments like this are very rare in my travels but are a delight.

 The huge compound lies under the watchful eye of the Annapurna massif.


 The simple meal was so delicious. I was very hungry also.
 While Dolma refused the rice, she ate 'tsampa.' I've read so much about tsampa, I finally got to taste it. It was pretty good. Tibetans eat tsampa, it is ground roasted barley. In the high Tibetan plateau, barley is the only grain that can be grown and it is roasted and ground. So by mixing it with water, yak butter or butter tea, a palatable meal can be had. With the shortage of fuel, it is very economical. Tibetans are sometimes referred to as tsampa eaters!
Here is James, a volunteer from Australia doing the dishes after we've eaten. Thank you, James.

No comments: