Thursday, June 26, 2008

Orvieto

Panino con Porchetta, it was in Orvieto that I first tasted Porchetta, is it ever so good. I've read so much about it but never had the opportunity to taste it till that day in Orvieto. I love it. Now I need to find it every time I am going to be in Italy. It is like the ubiquitous Paella pan cooking at every fair in the south of France. Every market in Italy is supposed to feature some guy selling Porchetta, it is roasted pork, a huge pig (almost) roasting on a spit. It is so fragrant and moist and extremely well seasoned and tasty.
view from the funicular, of neighborhood yards

view from funicular


View from Orvieto, this is Umbria, it resembles Tuscany a lot, it is not Tuscany, it is Umbria



There's an old abbey in the distance, we were told it is now a luxury hotel.




Underneath Orvieto is another underground settlement, in the olden days when it became too dangerous to live above ground, the people of the town tunnelled underground and built a thriving settlement there, a lot has been blocked off due to earth movements but some parts can be visited and viewed with a paid admission and a guide.





They pressed olives in mills underground, remnant of an old mill.







Our Italian guide, I forgot her name.







Orvieto

















The duomo in Orvieto has a very beautiful and ornate facade, very like the duomo in Sienna. I love the duomo in Sienna, it is one of my favorite, the interior features works by Leonardo da vinci, Michelangelo and others and quite resembles a museum more than a cathedral. The interior in Orvieto duomo is not as impressive. I'm jaded when it comes to interiors, I've seen too many and unless it is truly unique, I'm not impressed.























Orvieto was our last stop during our Easter trip to Italy this March. We took the train out of Rome, arrived at Orvieto train station, crossed the street to take the funicular up to the town. Orvieto is a hilltown, it sits high on top of a hill. This is to ward off the enemies in the old days. Up on top, a free shuttle takes you to the city centre in front of the duomo. It was raining and pretty cold.
On the way back to Rome, the train was crowded. From the train I could see, in the distance, other hilltowns, some looked absolutely ancient and therefore inviting. There's still so much exploring to do.
We left Rome the next day for home. That concludes the Easter 08 trip to Italy. Next trip is September 14, 2008, it'll be a longer trip, covering more places. I can't wait.











No comments: