Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Energy

While my energy level is sputtering, I have to maximise on everything,
- work a lot because in a few short years, I wounldn't be able to handle the frenetic pace in the pharmacy. Looking at young people today, they seem to be less energetic, I guess, time is on their side. Time is not on my side, to quote Michael Savage, 'there's more sand in the bottom of the hour glass.' The demands are not only mental, they are also physical, being on my feet 11+ hours a day. I'm lucky is I can squeeze out 5 minutes to eat. Over the past 30+ years, I've eaten lunches on my feet most of the time. Who in their right mind would want a job like this? Probably people not in their right mind, people who need their heads examined. Mind you, I have a lot of recruiters begging me to leave for an easier job. I guess, the swift pace can be addicting, just like drugs. Oh my God, I should be in rehab. Maybe when I retire I have to seek help to slow down and get over the addictive effects of a fast pace work life. I know it, I feel it, I need help to slow down. I need therapy.
- I have to maximise on travel while I still have that fat paycheck. Even as I prepare to travel on September 14, I'm already planning the next trip after that and next years itineraries. I was checking into airfares, they're not cheap. I used to balk when British Air charges $200 for taxes and other surcharges. This trip, I'm paying $742. Next year, it's up to $882. This is not the airfare, this is the taxes and surcharges tagged onto the airfare.
So when I'm abroad, I'm running, trying to squeeze as much into the trip as possible. We, poor Americans, we work so much harder than our European counterparts. I'm beginning to see a lot of Europeans visiting the US, they come into the pharmacy looking for odds and ends.
The funniest request I've had was from an Italian couple, water purifying tablets and they were not even going camping. They want to purify the Los Angeles city water to use for washing the fruits his pregnant wife is going to eat. We used to have the safest food supply, one just bite into some fruit or vegetable without thinking twice. Not anymore, with tainted spinach, scallions, tomatoes, jalapenos and whatever else, one might just die or get seriously ill with the vegetables we have now in the markets and the restaurants. Even visitors from abroad are suspicious of our food supply. I told them they can use bottled water to wash their fruits and brush their teeth with bottled water, if they're really squeamish. Do you have to this in China or India, I wonder?
I digress.
There's a need for me to conserve energy, and I don't mean electricity, though I do..... when I'm home I veg out....

No comments: