Saturday, January 10, 2009

Fromage blanc


Time flies whether or not you're having fun. It was in the fall of 2007 that I was introduced to fromage blanc and till today I can't get it off my mind. I loved it. It was at a restaurant in Lyon near the hotel where we were staying that I first tasted it. I didn't know what it was. It was the dessert for the fixed menu of the day. The French lady sitting next to us was finishing her dinner and was into her dessert which was the fromage blanc. It was just a white blob in a bowl and we saw her sprinkling sugar on it as she scooped out the white blobs. She was obviously enjoying it. I knew it must be fromage blanc because that's what it was in French, white cheese. Heck, I ordered it and since it was a little sour kinda like sour cream, I began to emulate what she did, sprinkled sugar on it as I ate. It was really good, I fell in love with fromage blanc. I can't wait to get back to eat it again. We didn't see it on any menu during our last trip.
I was at a supermarket yesterday and found some farmer's cheese, it tasted more like cottage cheese not like formage blanc. Emerill Lagasse has a recipe for fromage blanc on his website. Maybe one day I'll try to make it at home. What it is, is really, the fresh curds of cheese, the curds after the milk has coagulated, before anything is done to it. That is fromage blanc. It is usually eaten with sugar or a syrupy fruit sauce or honey. If you ever have a chance to eat it, do so.

No comments: