Friday, July 31, 2009

Dahlias

On the way back from Shilin, we were taken to this massive complex where there are serious shopping to be done. All the tour buses bound for Shilin stops here and deposit their groups here and every one's buying everything in sight, tea, gold, jade, food and whatever else. I was more interested in the gardens. Here were huge pots of Dahlias and Hydrangeas. They were so beautiful, the Dahlia blossoms were so huge, they were as big as one's face.












































Everyone came out of the mall with bags and bags of stuff. There are lots of things to buy, it is a shopping mecca. I hear a lot of Cantonese being spoken, these are probably tourists from Hong Kong and Southern China. When I left Kunming to come home at the end of my trip, I met 2 American couples, they had a lot of luggage between them, they bought a lot of stuff. The exchange rate is still so fantastic. US$1 = 6 Yuan. It is now very hard for me to go to England and Europe. I don't fancy paying about US$1.80 for 1 Pound or US$1.60 for 1 Euro. India is also my next destination where the exchange rate is US$1 = 49 rupees (roughly).




















The 'garbage city' of Kunming. I saw recyclers in the outskirts of Kunming. Our driver was driving like a madman.











1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Beautiful photos of the dahlias. What a contrast with the "garbage city" .