Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Shilin (Stone Forest) Part 2

There are these stones that jut out of the earth and form a 'forest' of stone. It covered a huge area and you pay an entry fee to go into the park. Here there are the 'Asima' minority of China that act a tour guides. We were asked to pay another 40 Yuan to ride in the golf carts to tour around the park. I didn't want to pay, not that 40 Yuan is a lot of money. I prefer to walk around on my own. They left me to do that and went in an anti clockwise direction around the park. I decided, to their protests, to walk in a clockwise direction. I said, there are no posted signs saying that one can only go in an anticlockwise direction. They gave up on me, but gave me instructions to meet at the entrance at 2 pm. I guess most of the time we do things just because it's been done that way for eons. Why?


It is not fantastic, it's OK. Kind of interesting.









































I had hoped I'll see a lot more wild flowers. I did ask the locals, when was a good time to come, to see the famous wild flowers of Yunnan. It is from this area that most of the flowers in the west originated, the roses, the peonies, the rhododendrons, the azaleas, etc... Here is the ubiquitous yellow Azalea. I was told, late July to August. In the Spring time, the yellow Rapeseed forms a spectacular sight to behold, so I've seen in pictures.




















Here we are on our way back to Kunming. Again I was more interested in the countryside.

























I love the way they plant around the stones and rocks.


































































































I saw some old farm houses on the way back which made me really happy.








































I thought we were done with the trip and was on our way back to our hotels. Not so..... there was more shopping on the way back. I wouldn't recommend this kind of tour to Shilin. Find one that just take you out there and back, with no shopping. More shopping to come....The time spent in Shilin was only an hour and a half. We left at 8 am and didn't finish till 6pm. The rest of the group loved it, for 160 Yuan they get driven and taken to places all day long.




















2 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Great photos and well done for walking around in the direction you wanted!

You are an adventurous lady. When are you off to India?

annechung said...

I'm planning to go to Rajesthan, India in January 2010. I've seen the pictures of the beautiful forts and I can't wait.