Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The outskirts of Kunming

I arrived in Kunming on a Saturday afternoon and the next day, after breakfast I made travel arrangements at the hotel's travel office to go to another city in a few days. The hotel is in a central location and just stepping out into the streets would be many taxis. I hailed one down, showed him an address in Mandarin and asked how much it was to take me there, wait for me and take me back. He said, '300 yuan'. I agreed and off we went. While we were traveling, he asked what else I want to see, I told him and he said he'll take me to other places and we agreed on a different price. He was a very young Chinese fellow. I wanted to go to a Sunday market, there is a big one in a village 12 miles outside of Kunming. Before we went there he took me to this temple complex and said the market will come alive a little later in the morning. Then, since I wanted to see villages, he'll take me to his ancestral home where his grandparents still live and farm. He and his father are now taxi drivers in the city and are renting rooms in Kunming.





The dirt in Yunnan are red clay. The wet and tropical weather makes this place so lush and productive.



There are these scenes all over China, people cooking along highways, catering to the itinerant.




With people movers like this, who needs GM cars?












This is a temple complex which has been renovated and is now under the administration of the ShaoLing organization. All the spaces have been turned into shops and restaurants and there is an active temple in the complex. It doesn't see too many tourists, just the locals. But it is beautiful and interesting.







Those 'flying' eaves again.
























































































































































































































There were a few mud houses near by. They must hate these mud houses but I love them though I wouldn't want to live in one unless they keep the exterior but update the interior. They have to update the plumbing inside and put in a few modern amenities before I'll live in one. I've seen their plumbing, it leaves a lot to be desired. I'll show it to you later when I had to use it.






















They own cars in China. I've seen some luxury models. The taxis are all Volkswagen Jettas. They use reliable meters unless you agreed on a price to take you some place further away. They are not in a habit of turning the meter on, just remind them. It cost 8 yuan for a ride around the city.


































































































































It's fun to see a cluster of buildings together and one can see the clash of those flying eaves.



























2 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Fascinating pictures. I especially like that people-mover!

annechung said...

Thanks, Patrizia, as always.