Friday, March 12, 2010

Do you get homesick?

Sophie said, she misses home after a few days into each trip. Do I get homesick? No, because I know however long the trip maybe, it will end and I'll be heading home. I've been doing this for over ten years making 2 trips abroad every year. So no, I don't get homesick. Home is wherever I am, here or abroad. One thing I do is to bring a favorite object from home with me, something small. This way, in a way, I always have home with me. A few of my books to read, my journal, a plastic bag from the drugstore (I bring my work with me) or a favorite magazine to thumb through during the trip. Most if not all the time I'm too occupied with details of the trip that I have no time to feel homesick. I have to locate the hotel, I have to get train tickets or bus tickets to get to the next destination. I plan the trip and the details and it's always up to me to stay on track. So I'm much too occupied most of the time.I do intend to take longer trips in future, I don't know if then I'll get homesick. Maybe.

No comments: