Thursday, July 22, 2010

Inside Mont St Michel

Whether we believe in God or not, mankind is basically religious. Every ancient culture has some form of belief system, have their gods and deities, a god for everything. The Buddhists have theirs, the Christians have theirs, the ancient Egyptians have theirs. I am always impressed by the Tibetans with their prayer wheels, they have prayers inscripted on prayer wheels and with each turn of the prayer wheel, numerous prayers are being offered, so if they had huge drums and many of them and all of them inscripted with multiple prayers, imagine the hundreds of thousands of prayers being offered at any turn of the drum! I think it is an incredible concept. Then there are the prayer flags, each flag with a prayer and you have a string of them all flapping in the wind, offering numerous prayers. I am also impressed by the faith of our ancient Christian fathers who has the vision and fortitude of building such incredible monuments to worship their God! I have to many and I'm always impressed. Some of these are so remote and usually high and perched against some steep mountain, Monserrrat in Barcelona somes to mind, Rocamadour in France, Conques, also in France. It was humbling to be in Mont St Michel, at first it was exciting, I'm going to a famous place. But being there puts one in a different perspective, for one thing, it is still an active monastery. The place is still alive, even though, at the base, you won't think so, with the buying and selling that goes on. It is still alive spiritually, with people bringing their prayers and supplications and maybe thanksgiving also. I know, I did.....

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I've always wanted to go there. Lovely photos.