Friday, November 01, 2013

Les Hortillonages, Amiens

 What are they? ....floating gardens of Amiens, small islands of reclaimed marshlands, some 300 hectares, growing fruits and vegetables for hundreds of years, access is almost entirely by boat through the narrow waterways between the numerous small islands......








It wasn't far from the town center and an easy walk from my hotel which was just one block from the train station. It was my first morning and I woke up at 8.30am which is very late for me. I was shocked, in bed still at 8am! I got up real quick, changed and started for the boat station. I was too early, it doesn't start till 10am. There's no such thing as vacation for me, even in Paris, I was out of my room at 6.30am! There's so much to see and to do, why stay in bed? Promptly before 10, other locals started to join me and we were off, the five of us and the boat man. I first came across this place from an article written by a reporter of the London Telegraph.

No comments: