Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Hofburg palace, Vienna
















 I'm reliving and enjoying my trip again. It's been a few months since we were right here and I've forgotten how beautiful this place is. It's breathtakingly beautiful. And we have not even gone inside. Everything is very close together, this palace is just round the corner from Stephanplatz and a little further afield are the museums, and very sumptuous museums too. One can only imagine the glory of the Austro-Hungarian empire whose influence stretches from Central Europe to Spain (Philip Habsburg was married to Juana, the daughter of Isabella and Ferdinand) to Sicily, Southern Italy and Naples. We have a famous Austrian living in our midst, Arnold, the governor of California. I saw Arnold some 10 years ago at a mall in Orange County where he was filming. I love him as an actor, I love his Conan, the Barbarian series and the Terminator series. A few years ago I was waiting for a train at the station in Santiago de Compostela, Spain. I sat next to this guy and he told me he'd just walked the camino, said he was from Austria. I told him I was from California and our governor was from Austria. He said,' the terminator, he sounded just like Arnold. We both laughed so loud that everybody at the station was looking in our direction. I'm beaming from ear to ear as I write this. This is what life is about, memories and experiences!

No comments: