Thursday, December 03, 2009

St Vitus





  While I miss the baroque, this spectacular gothic more than makes up for the loss. We didn't go to the crypt, which is the burial place for the greatest kings of Bohemia including Charles IV, Wenceslas IV and Rudolf II.















This is the golden portal which was the original main entrance before the other entrance was built. The golden portal was closed for renovation. While I'm not Roman Catholic, I do pray in all the churches that I visit. I was raised as an Anglican but since moving to the US has become a Charismatic Christian Evangelical, the same kind often mentioned in American politics. My sister in law who is Jewish asked me once 'what is a christian evangelical?' It must have been voting season. She was looking at a true blue christian evangelical!

This is the gorgeous St Vitus in the castle quarter or Hradcany in Czech. It was crowded and the line was long to get in. It was worth the wait. People were always cutting in front of the line and that was irritating. It is massive and obviously built in stages. I just read it was named for a wealthy 4th century Sicilian martyr, ah, a Sicilian connection, imagine that. I love Sicily. It is a very part of the castle quarter and the pride of the Czech Republic.

This is a truly impressive church.

No comments: