Monday, April 08, 2013

My hotel in Kathmandu

I stayed at the Kathmandu Guesthouse upon my return from Pokhara. I stayed in the cheaper older wing. There was no heat and spotty hot water. I got used to it by now. My first night in Kathmandu was a horrible rude awakening. For the first time in my life I experienced load shedding. I knew what it was but until you live in it, you don't fully understand the implication. I remember checking in for my flight at Los Angeles airport, the Cathay Pacific desk clerk spoke of my going to Kathmandu like I was going to purgatory. He's never been there but he kept saying the 'Kathmandu' as if it were some odd place that no one goes to. I was quite embarassed, I didn't know why I even chose to go to Nepal. I have no regrets, I love Nepal. The next time I'm at the Cathay Pacific counter, I will hold my head up high and say 'check me in for Katmandu please! The hotel had this pretty garden where one can drink tea and hang out. They have a newer wing that has all the amenities of a 4 star hotel. This is where the famous and the well heeled stay, people like the Beetles(?), Ricky Martin and others. It is right in the tourist area of Thamel and is so convenient, shops and restaurants are all outside your door but yet it is secluded and quiet. For some reason Lonely Planet doesn't rate it very highly.

1 comment:

Everest Base Camp Trekking said...

Wonderful post, i was in search of something like this for my coming trip to there and found your post informational one.Thanks and keep sharing other updates.