Sunday, February 17, 2008

The spirit of adventure

The end of a trip signals the beginning of another trip. This Easter, my 2 nieces and I will be in Rome and Bologna, we'll take daytrips to Verona, Venice and Orvieto. I'm a little stressed out, taking kids, even older kids is stressful. It is not like traveling alone or with another adult.
I remember being in Venice a few years ago and seeing some Canadian moms bringing along their children to Venice and seeing them on the vaporetto brought out the maternal instincts in me. They had a little adopted Chinese girl among them, she was so adorable, it made me want to bring kids with me when I travel. I also saw a German woman with her teenage daughter, boarding a bus with back packs. I took my younger niece to London 2 years ago, that was the stressful thing I've ever done. I was sick the whole trip. Now they're older, I hope it'll be easier and more enjoyable.
Will I ever learn?
I remember meeting 2 Japanese girls a year ago in Naples. They had flown from their home in Osaka into Rome, took the train from Rome and arrived in Naples at 10.30 at night and came to the hostel where I was also staying. The hostel is near the train station and not in the best part of town. Naples, as whole, is not for the faint hearted and to arrive there so late at night would scare the living daylights out of most people. We said hi the next morning and all 4 of us, including Sophie, went to the marina and took the hydrofoil to the Isle of Capri to see the Blue Grotto. From Naples, they were to return to Rome and to Venice and to Llubyana and then fly back to Osaka. I said to Sophie, 'Wow, I wish I had their spirit!'. Sophie said, 'you do'. We headed south to Bari, Matera, Alberobello and Leece before returning to Rome, the Cinque Terre and Nice, France and then home. That was another great trip.

No comments: