Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The week that was

I entered the front door, picked up my mail and started to go through it. I have just finished a 10 and 1/2 hour shift, all done on my feet which is now all numb and tingly. There was a dreaded letter from the IRS, an entry on line 10 of Schedule A was left out which resulted in a charge back and a demand for almost $3600. OK, I said, let's fix this. I picked up the phone to call them, there's no dial tone, the Verizon people were in my backyard stringing new cables, they must left something unplugged. So at nine at night, I was on hold, first with the phone company and then with the IRS. They're both experiencing high call volume, at nine at night, you'd think it was 9 in the morning. It must be all those pesky people who had to work during the daytime and thought they could eat dinner (at 9 pm, yes?) and watch some TV and go to bed, wake up the next morning to do it all over again!
I was able to schedule service with the phone company. It was a different matter with the IRS, not only were they experiencing high call volume, they were having technical difficulties and couldn't pull up my records. I am happy to announce (yeah!) after 2 more calls the next day, I was able to place a hold on the extra payment while I file a 1040X, which, at the moment of writing has been completed and is on its way to the IRS.
These and many other irritants are very much a part of life and living. I've learned, over the years, (I've lived a pretty long time) to expect things to not go smoothly all the time. It's been a good life, filled with hard work, heart ache and heart break and disappointments.
I was on the phone, during the week, with 2 recruiters about some jobs they were trying to fill. I told them, they couldn't afford to hire me. As the conversation progressed, they came to realize it too. It's a great feeling, I've never felt this good about myself before. This is the first time I feel accomplished. I've been through enough to know how to handle every situation. I know where every cent of my money is. When I read the IRS complaint, I knew exactly where the problem was. Years ago, when I didn't do my own taxes, these letters from the IRS may as well be Greek to me. A colleague celebrated her 30th year working at this store. Wow! That's an incredible achievement. I bought her a cake to celebrate, she was almost in tears.
It's the weekend, I've brought some work home, I have to mail a package (medicines) to a home bound patient, I have to make a delivery to a Department of Corrections facility, all unpaid work for my job. I am happy to do it. It makes me feel real good about myself and that is good.....

No comments: