Monday, September 20, 2010

Images of China

An image of China that is fast disappearing. I told my guide I wanted to see mud houses and he took me here, just an hour outside of Kunming in Yunnan province. When I saw the mud houses of the Berbers in Morocco, it reminded me of this. The contrast is not just the color of the mud, the Chinese are able to build a 2 storey mud house and that's very innovative. I live in a very old house, circa 1926, a Spanish style dwelling with coved ceilings but completely ungraded. I know, I know, there are people who go abroad to buy old property to rehab. I have no interest in doing that. Old property are endearing and it's just fascinating to look at. I know there is no indoor plumbing in this house because I had to use their facilities, it was an outhouse nearby.

No comments: