Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Lanzhou airport


Sophie took this picture just to remind ourselves of the places we could go to from Lanzhou. We will be back this way because there are still a lot of places to see around Lanzhou. We've only scratched the surface. It wasn't my first choice but in the end I needed to be in a Tibetan area and Lanzhou won over Anhui province. Anhui province is a very poor province which means old China is still there. I have wanted to be in Tibet but this part of the Tibetan plateau just whetted my appetite for more. In fact if one looks at old maps, this part is included in as part of Tibet. The 14th Dalai Lama calls this part as being 'Tibet.' He was born in Qinghai province not far from Lanzhou, near Kunbun monastery, which I will try to get to next trip. The history is complicated but fascinating. It's beyond the scope of this posting.

No comments: