Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Klimt at MOMA

Today the two Klimt paintings of Adele Bloch-Bauer are in the city of New York but in two galleries, I is at the Neue gallery and II, this one is at MOMA. Adele Bloch-Bauer I was sold to Ronald Lauder of Estee Lauder for $135m the highest amount for any painting. Ron Lauder saw the painting at the Belvedere, Vienna when he visited on his own at 14 years and years ago. He has always expressed an interest in the painting. It was so iconic, he was an impressionable boy traveling in Europe without his parents. When the painting was up for sale, he prevented any bidding, bought it outright. The rest of the Bloch-Bauer collection was auctioned off by Christie, you can view the 20 minute video on Youtube. I am not one to be interested in auctions but this one was different, in 20 minutes, they sold off 4 Klimt paintings for a total of $192 million! The last to be auctioned was this one, Adele Bloch-Bauer II, the bidding went on and on and ended at $78.5m! She is on long term loan to MOMA and you can see it there. She is beautiful and I have a copy in front of my computer on the wall! She's my muse and my inspiration. Thank you, Klimt.

No comments: