Friday, August 30, 2013

The horse racing festival

 Every year on August 1 and for a few days after, the horse racing festival is in full swing in a field a few miles outside of Litang. I've been planning since last August to be here and to see the festivities in full swing. I came and spent only 10 minutes.






We missed the first day which was when the racing took place. When we finally arrived on the second day, the festivities was still going on but the minute we arrived, there was thunder and lightning and we thought it might pour, we waved down someone, got a ride and went back to Litang. I managed to take these pictures before leaving. We got a ride from a monk driving an SUV. A lot of monks have rich patrons and are therefore able to afford a lot of luxuries. Looks like I have to return next year and make sure I'm there on August 1, 2014 and not miss the horse racing.

No comments: