Tuesday, March 11, 2014

St Catherine area

After numerous cups of Bedouin tea we were ready to head to the St Catherine area, leave my things at the camp, go to the village store to get some supplies for my climb. I bought some water and crackers, there wasn't much to buy at this store. I went to my room at the camp to sleep for a few hours till 2am when my guide will come and we will climb Mt Sinai. It was freezing cold in the desert. The warm day time temperature is deceiving, nights in the desert is freezing. I slept a few winks before at 1.30am, everyone in the camp seems to be up and about. This is the time the tour buses arrives from Cairo and from Dahab. The drivers then come to the camp to sleep a few hours after having deposited their groups to climb the mountain. My guide would come at 2am, its a 2km walk from the camp to the base of the mountain. My very thoughtful and expensive taxi driver has arranged for the guide to drive me to the base of the mountain, thus saving me to walk that 2km.There was a moon but it did not give out much light.I had a little headlamp with me and with that we climbed.....

No comments: