Saturday, April 22, 2006

books, more books

My favorite bookstores are used book stores. I've been known to spend up to $100 at a time at any used bookstore. I love used book stores especially online used books outlets like Alibris.com. My bill at Alibris.com can rival my bill at Amazon.com. Right I'm reading about Sicily because I am making plans to visit Sicily next year. The offerings at Amazon is pretty thin but at Alibris, it's a different story. I love books by older authors. Clearly some of the best books were written by authors who lived long ago. My first book on Metaphysics was written by James Allen, "As a man thinketh". He opened the door to the vast collection of other writers in that genre including Ralph Waldo Emerson. It has given me power I have never felt in my life. It opened up new understanding, well, it was new to me. With greater understanding I am less puzzled. Being puzzled and being in the dark is a very painful thing. I came to understand myself and that is a freeing experience. I am no longer shackled to ignorance. It is a very powerful experience. I can be what I want to be. I can live how I want to, go where I want to and I'm doing just that. We are limited in our knowledge and experiences. Through reading we have access to other people's knowledge and experiences. With that knowledge, we can say to ourselves, I can do that and do it.

No comments: