Sunday, September 09, 2007

Old photographs







Sometimes when I run out of inspiration I take out the boxes of old photographs that I have and go through them. Each old photograph has a story to tell. It is so amazing. What does these say? This was 7 years ago, the year I spent Christmas abroad, in London actually. I took a week off and headed over to London to spend Christmas with my 2 aunts. Before Christmas I took the train and headed off to Paris for 2 days, my very first trip. I remember leaving my aunt's house at 7 in the morning, it was still dark,wet and cold, took the bus, went to the tube station, took the tube to Waterloo to catch the 8.30 Eurostar train to Paris. I remember arriving at Gare du Nord, frightened and bewildered. I took the metro to the Paris Opera house where my hotel was. I'll never forget that first jaunt to Paris. I've been to Paris 4 times since. I arrived back in London on Christmas eve, the rest of my cousins started arriving, it is a tradition, Christmas eve dinner is always steamboat. For those who don't know what that is, it's the Chinese equivalent of fondue except we have a pot of soup boiling in a pot and we dip pieces of meat, vegetables, noodles or fish or any uncooked food and cook them in the soup. Then we drink the soup. My English cousins love it. Then on Christmas day we had roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and roasted parsnips. I brought the roast over with me, in my checked in luggage. I took it out of the freezer just before I headed for the airport, checked in my luggage, lugged it all the way on the Piccadilly line of the tube and to my aunt's house. It was still frozen. There was mad cow disease in England then for a few years and my relatives couldn't stand the sight of another turkey for Christmas. My aunt baked and iced the Christmas cake. She's a great cook. That's Elizabeth serving us the Christmas pudding and we pulled those Christmas crackers after dinner. Since then I've always bought Christmas crackers for my Christmas dinners. There is an English grocery store in Santa Monica where I get my English stuff. I know Tesco, the English supermarket is going to open up a few stores in the USA. I'm still waiting. On Boxing day we went to a friend's house where I met up with my other aunt and her family. It was one of the best Christmas I've ever had.



No comments: