Sunday, January 06, 2008

Roussillon' a red village



































































le Colorado de Rustrel. Roussillon en Provence, the village in France that I went especially to see and almost didn't because of a screw up in my itinerary planning, my mistake. It is a very pretty village, sitting on top of a large ochre deposit. The ochre hills are colored yellow, red, brown and orange, a really fascinating sight. The village is painted with the same color scheme with pigments harvested from the ochre hills that it sits on.
We were given one and half hours to roam the hills and see the village. I had intended to stay there, maybe next time. I would have loved to stay, hike, sketch and paint here. Every corner you turn in the village takes you into a vignette as pretty as the one before. You can't imagine my delight when I finally step on the red dirt, I'm here. When I look at the picture taken from the front seat of the mini van, I still feel the thrill of that morning as we head to Roussillon.











No comments: