Tuesday, November 25, 2008

On our way to Barcelona

We're here in Barcelona, I wrote Wednesday September 24, 2008! We left Perpignan train station at 9 in the morning after a hearty breakfast at our hotel and in less than 3 hours we were in Barcelona. Wow! It was a nice train ride with stops at Girona and Figueres, both places are mentioned in Spainontheroadagain TV series. In hindsight we should have gone to visit these places but there just wasn't enough time. Definitely we will come back to this area. I'm glad I cut Perpignan short by one day and gave that extra day to Barcelona because even with 2 and 1/2 days, we were no where near seeing all that we want to see in Barcelona. I'll be back. We arrived in Barcelona at Estacion Sants, a huge train station, more like an airport, it's new, clean and absolutely efficient. I'm so amazed. I've been to Southern Spain and Northern Spain and have loved all the places in Spain that I have visited so far. I've heard the raves about Barcelona but have till now no interest to visit because they do lack ancient sites. No ancient sites withstanding, the spirit of Barcelona makes up for it. It's lively, fun and carefree. It was a public holiday and when we emerged from the underground and arrived at Placa Catalunya, it was so crowded. There were people everywhere, there were street acts everywhere, there was music everywhere, it was like a huge party going on and everyone is invited. Everyone who's been to Barcelona loves Barcelona and now I know why. I, too, love Barcelona.





A South American group, every one's stopped to listen and do a little dancing, it's one big party on the streets in Placa Catalunya and La Rambla. Here we are lugging our luggage looking for our hotel which is nearby.















The subway is so big and clean, I've never seen anything like it before. There are no dog poop anywhere, a nice change from France.




No comments: