Sunday, November 09, 2008

The trains

While we did take buses for some outings, most of the outings were done on the trains. This part is the border between Italy and France and there are some of the cutest villages here, a few of which we visited and has been covered in the past few postings. The French are very proud of this track, it is an engineering feat and I saw a book (used) all about the building of this train track. Both the French and the Italian trains share some of the tracks and go to the same places. We accessed Saorge (French) on an Trenitalia train and we visited Sospel and Breil using SNCF. Here we are at Saorge's station and the signs says Nice/Ventimiglia to the south and Tende/Cuneo to the north. It was the most fun experience. It didn't even costs a whole lot, it was really cheap. I'm glad we're able to capitalise on the subsidised train systems of Europe.


This is actually a postcard of the French train. I told you they are very proud of this track, the trains are painted differently. Sophie bought this postcard for me, I was so tickled when I saw it.


This is a photograph of the real thing. We just got off it and I took this before it left the station.



What did I tell you..... all aboard!










A Trenitalia train passing by, no thank you, not this time, we are taking SNCF. Maybe next time. Ciao!






A little blog writing while we waited for the train and of course a cappuccino.







This is the best part, making friends on the train. Here is a Japanese girl, spending a month learning French in Villefranche sur mer (near Nice), next to her a French boy who spent the weekend hiking where we were visiting. He gave her a small bottle of French wine that he didn't finish that weekend. She said she'll drink it when she gets back to her hotel.








Sophie showing them her photographs that she took that day.... Sigh.......as I write this, I'm so wistful....wish I'm back there, wish I'm on the road again.
The next day we were to take the train again, leave Nice and head to our next destination, Perpignan, near the French/Spanish border. Travel with me in this blog.









No comments: