Monday, July 13, 2009

A second market pt 2

There are reports that the villagers all over China are abandoning their farming life, preferring instead to work in the tourism industry. These would mean leaving the old farms that endear tourists to China. My taxi driver, a young guy and his dad or his uncle has already done that, left the farm to the old grandparents and are now driving taxis in Kunming and are renting rooms in Kunming. I saw a lot of kids working in the malls, I know for sure, they have not only abandon the farms but has also abandon school. China is changing so fast. There are lots of cute little villages and the question is what happens to them when the whole of China and the world descends on these cute little places. It is happening all over China.
What's this? No clue.
































































Some kind of root. I saw them at this market, the next morning I found them in a salad at the breakfast buffet in my hotel.
























This is animal fat, used for rendering into cooking fat.




























I don't know what these loose teeth are for.















Some people were buying roses which surprised me because these are very pragmatic people and for them to indulge in frivolity was surprising.

















Chicken feet, mmmmm good, not in pickles but I had stewed chicken feet for breakfast every morning while in Kunming.
























































Pickled quail eggs.




















Fermented bean paste.




















Don't know what these are. Looked like cockroaches.







































































An outdoor hardware store. Here one can find cleavers and other farm implements.
The old China is still there, I'm glad.

























No comments: