Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Prague

Wenceslas square! Wow, here we are, in Prague. We've just checked in our hotel across the street from the main train station and then were out and about exploring the beautiful city of Prague in the Czech Republic, who is celebrating the 20th anniversary of the fall of communism this year. While the rest of the western world is mired in recession, the Czech Republic is booming economically. There is an excitement in the air, as the streets and the squares get filled with tourists from all over the world. I met some of my fellow travelers from Malaysia.
Hare Krishna in Prague? Who would have thought, just 20 years ago, only communist ideology was allowed. Just look at Prague today. It is amazing.


The old square was filled with little food stalls and wandering entertainers like this group of people. There's a festive mood every where and everyday.Prague is celebrating everyday.

































Prague, a city of a thousand spires.





















































The whole idea of travel is to break down stereotypes. All I know about Eastern Europe are stories I hear of the cold war and communism. True, Eastern Europe was formerly communist but not anymore. We (or rather I) still hold visions of dour looking communists but nothing could be further from the truth. 2009 is my breakout year, I was in Cairo in February, in Yunnan, China in June, and now in Eastern Europe. I had a great time in all these unfamiliar places. I saw some of the most historical places and met some of the nicest people.
Like in any place, one needs to be careful about being ripped off. The guidebook warned about unscrupulous money changers and I was almost ripped off by one. He tried to short change me. It happens a lot, always count your change. Prague, surprisingly, is pretty easy to get around on foot. We didn't need any motorized transportation.
We fell prey to touts at the airport in Cairo, earlier this year. No one is immune, not even jaded travelers like us.
We are not wealthy Americans, we work hard for our money and we try to maximise our time and our money. We did eat at a restaurant, we saw an advertised menu, we ate and made sure we were charged the advertised price and not have the 'bait and switch' trick done to us. I read that this happens.
We had a great time. After this trip I want more of Eastern Europe.












No comments: