Sunday, November 29, 2009

Shopping in Prague


I'm still trying to figure the new blogger editor, I don't know if I like it. I'm tempted to look for a new blogging host. The puppet shops reminded me of Sicily. Marionettes are very popular in Sicily.Chinese in Prague? Why not? Again it reminded us of the strangest place where we had Chinese food, in Trapani, the most western city in Sicily. It was a cold and rainy Sunday night when we went looking for food and nothing except the cafes were opened. We had already gotten really wet during the day's excursion to Erice and my boots were squeaking because they were very wet. It took 2 days before they dried. I was miserable and wouldn't mind eating day old Lasagna at one of the cafes. Sophie insisted on walking further to look for something better and lo and behold we did, a Chinese restaurant. We ate well, we chatted with the owners. That was fun, we'll always remember that incident. Here is the market place in Prague where they sold fruits and vegetables and souvenirs. I don't think it's a place for the locals, it's a place more for the tourists.I watched as the shopkeeper took out a new box for a customer and I said to myself, 'I'm going to see where that thing is made'. It had, 'made in China' on it. Ok, now we know almost all if not all souvenirs all over the world are actually made in China. What a let down. But there was a store that sold 'made in the Czech Republic' stuff.
There were numerous Starbucks and McDonald's all over the place. In Budapest we ate at a BurgerKing a couple of times. We maybe away from home but not really away from home, there are so many reminders of home all over the world.

No comments: