Thursday, November 10, 2011

Making the desert bloom




 There's an aquifer in the desert sand, water in the midst of this barren desert. There is some vegetation and a temple. This was the closest I got to it, I couldn't walk since I popped my right knee that morning. I can't believe the desert could be such a delight and could give pleasure to so many visitors. Dunhuang was at the very heart of the ancient Silk road and there are many reminders of it. This desert is a reminder of what the traders have to deal with, a vast tract of desert.

There could have camel caravans of several hundreds camels each time crossing this desert to get to Europe and to get back from Europe. I can't imagine doing it the way they did. For us, the distance was just too great and the time constraints means we need to fly. I'm reading a book on Genghis Khan right now, 'The Mongols, from Genghis Khan to Tamarlane'. They rode horses to get to Europe and to fight there. Today it is called 'insanity'.

No comments: