Thursday, February 14, 2008

Versailles




























































































The thought of going to Versailles makes me feel tired. My first trip was a very hot July day years ago. The expanse of the palace and it's grounds, just thinking about it makes me tired. It is so huge, it should take a whole day if one is to visit every bit of it. My sister in law, Sophie, hasn't been there so as a good unpaid tour guide, we set off one morning to visit it. Somewhere on the left bank, near Musee d'Orsay is the station for the RER, the underground train system, one of the lines takes you almost to the doorstep of Versailles. They make it so easy now, they sell a package, train tickets to and back plus entry to the palace for 21 euros. So we bought that and off we went with a myriad of people. The place was packed, as usual.
We saw the famous bed chambers, the chapel, the hall of mirrors, the children's quarters, part of the grounds. We didn't venture to the other buildings on the grounds, it was just too much for us. It was our last day and we still have Musee d'Orsay that we needed to go to. The Versailles is an important experience for Paris visitors. I've been twice now and I hope I don't have to go again. I don't think I can work as a tour guide, it's too boring to go back to the same places so many times.













No comments: