Sunday, April 25, 2010

Tiles


Looking at the tiles or 'zellij' in Morroco reminded me of another tiled place. In February 2009 I was in Cairo and these are the old tiles of the 'blue' mosque in Cairo.What brought me to write this is, I'm in the process of planning a trip to Istanbul later this year. While looking at a DK guidebook, I saw very similar looking tiles in mosques in Istanbul. I've seen these kind of tiles before, I said to myself and true enough, as I looked through my stock of Cairo pictures, I found these pictures. Wow! The mosque in Cairo is very old and the tiles are in disrepair and this mosque is always undergoing renovation and is supposed to be closed but a few Egyptian pounds slipped into the palm of the guard, we were able to get in and took these pictures. What is left is still so beautiful. I can't wait to be in Istanbul to see some more intricately tiled mosques.

No comments: