Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fish fry for lunch


This is the simplest of food, ever, just some little fish, fresh caught, cleaned and gutted, rolled in a little flour and fried. We ordered a plate each and then a third plate to share. We ate with our fingers and drank our Coca Cola with it. It was so wonderful, so primal, so basic. We saw a fisherman bring in more fresh caught fish for them to fry up. I forgot how much we paid, it wasn't more than 70 dirhams, about US$8 for the meal. I loved Essaouira. I only wished we had more time. The greatest thing about non touristy places is the wonderful local food, so unpretentious,delicious and cheap. It reminded us of Sicily, anywhere in Sicily, the food is good and cheap. It reminded us of Southern Italy, same thing. I remember the best salad we had was at a restaurant in Alberobello, Southern Italy,the tomatoes and the carrots was so sweet that it has been on my mind since that day. I'll never forget that experience. This meal ranks in the same category.

No comments: