Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The mellah, Marrakech


This is a poorer section of the medina and less visited. Only visitors who are interested in the plight of non muslims visits. This was in the old days the section where the Jewish people lived but they have all left for the West because they feared for their lives and for better economic prospects. I lived in a muslim country previously and left for better economic prospects in the US. I am always interested in the plight of non muslims still left in muslim countries. In Cairo we visited a lot of Coptic christians areas even the Muqattum hills where the 'Zabaleen' sort out the city's trash. While our muslim taxi driver sneered at these people in Cairo, we were concerned and impressed by their hardiness. My post on 'Zabaleen' is one of my most popular post. It's been googled numerous times. I am most proud of that post and my lifetime goal is to find similar opportunities for interesting pieces like that. We didn't see too many visitors here but we would be soon  be approached by an enterprising young Morrocan who asked if we wanted to see the synagogue and the Jewish cemetery. How did he know that we would?

No comments: