Friday, June 04, 2010

A kasbah

On our way to Ouarzazate we made a detour to a kasbah. A kasbah is a kind of fort, but made of mud. Some kasbahs have been restored and are livable. But not this one, it is a show piece and a tourist attraction. Everyone going to Ouarzazate and the desert makes a detour here, hence the great number of SUV's, or 'quatro quatro' as our driver calls them. There's a little village near to it that provides the supporting services like little stores, restaurants, guides, animal (donkeys) handlers and construction workers. There's a school for the children in the village, we met them at the bottom of the kasbah, having a school outing. It is a very touching rural scene, such a simple life, unlike the stressful one that we have. The stress in our modern life gets worse by the day as witnessed by the huge volume of anti depressants being consumed by the American public. Almost everyone is on some kind of anti depressant, sometimes I feel like grabbing a handful for myself. For the few weeks that I'm away I feel like I can cope but the thought of work turns my stomach upsidedown again. Would I trade my computer terminal for a donkey? Maybe there's an article to be written there. One can take the bus or a grand taxi for Ouarzazate and look for a tour company there or there are plenty to be found in Marrakech. Initially my plan was to go and stay in Ouarzazate, find a tour to take me out to the rose farms but we ended staying in Marrakech the whole 4 days. Maybe next trip....

No comments: