Sunday, May 28, 2006

The spirit of adventure


Being an independent traveler, making up your own itinerary and your own travel arrangements takes a lot of motivation. It's very stressful before and during the trip. I'd like to stay longer in some places but time and money doesn't always, in fact, never allow it. There's so much of the world left to see. I started traveling late in life and only in the last 6 years. So I have a lot of ground to make up for. No matter, it is still very exciting and well worth doing. The other alternative is to sit at home and wonder what it is like to be going to those strange, different and wonderful places in the world. I live each day of my life with the same sense of wonder. I am curious about people. I am daring in my profession. If it's not done before, I want to do it. I want to practise my profession in a new and different way. I want to care more about people, put my heart and soul into any task. Even in this blog, I'm putting in a lot of effort; I'm always on the look out for inspirational things to write about. I can spend hours going through old photographs to find inspiration. I remember on a recent trip to Naples' I met 2 young Japanese girls at a hostel. One of them spoke a spattering of English, both spoke no Italian. They were headed for the Isle of Capri and the Blue Grotto. We went sightseeing together for most of the day. They flew in from Osaka into Rome, took the train from Rome and arrived in Naples at 10.30pm the night before. The hostel where we stayed was in front of the train station and was in a seeded part of town. It's scary in the daytime. They arrived at night. They were headed back to Rome that night and onto Venice, Trieste and Llubjana and then Osaka. Wow! I didn't even know where Llubjana was then. Now I know it's in Slovenia. I told Sophie, my sister in law, I want some of their spirit to rub off on me. She said, "you already have that spirit". I love Mark Harris' new song, "Find your wings". Part of the chorus goes like this,
I pray that God will fill your life with dreams
And faith will give you courage to dare great things.
While I try to inspire others, I let others inspire me also.

No comments: