Saturday, August 06, 2011

From here I can see Armenia



 I'd liked nothing more than to be able to walk down to the ravine below and to the river below and if I could wade in the water, I'd be in Armenia. But as you can see there's a fence and I can't walk any further. This was the closest I could get.



Beyond the river and on the other side is Armenia. In fact some Armenians call this part of Turkey, Western Armenia. Ani was part of Armenia, the capital was in Kars but was moved to Ani at a later date. Until a few years ago, visitors needed a special pass from the tourism office in Kars in order to visit Ani but today we don't, we can go and visit freely but some parts that are too close to Armenia is still off limits. It is a very nostalgic place and a lot of Armenians can't visit because they don't want their hearts broken again. The whole area is so empty except for the few visitors that come to visit. So close and yet so far ....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting points. Thanks!

My blog:
rachat credit surendettement www.rachatdecredit.net