Tuesday, August 09, 2011

The interiors of St Grigor




















I was told blue is from lapis lazuli which is a very expensive mineral even today. So when I see blue in old frescoes I know this is an expensive piece of work. St Grigor is the only church in Ani that has any surviving frescoes and they depict Armenian saints and holy men with stories from the bible. When we first entered the church we were the only people in there. It, being Sunday, I broke out in prayer, couldn't help it. I recited the Lord's prayer then I sang 'Amazing Grace' just as other visitors began to come in. It's a museum and one is not supposed to sing hymns or say prayers but there were no guards around.
It is still so beautiful that I couldn't help but sing praises to the Lord. Seeing these pictures again gives me goose bumps. I am so blessed as to be able to be in such a beautiful place with so much history, a history of joy during its hey day and a history of sorrow when the Armenians were forced to leave.

No comments: