Thursday, January 17, 2013

Back in Kathmandu

I'm back in Kathmandu, came back yesterday on the bus. It took an hour longer because there was an accident. You should see these mountain roads, narrow and steep with a precipitous drop off the side of the mountains. I met and talked with more people on this trip on my own than any other trip. While in Pokhara, I was invited into the home of a Tibetan refugee to have lunch. How cool was that? I sat with Sunshine, a girl from England who is here to attend a wedding of her Dutch friend to a Nepalese man. There was another Western girl who was hitched to a Nepali man on the bus with us. The Dutch man we were traveling with made the remark, 'what's with this thing that so many Western women are hitched to Nepalese men?' I said, it happens a lot in Turkey between Western men and women and Turkish nationals. I told him, my motto is 'don't bring home any souvenir larger than a carpet!' Anyway I changed hotel, the first one was cheap but too quiet. I went to this one because Sunshine said it was the one she stayed in when she first arrived. I prefer this new one, its right in the thick of things.

No comments: